SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2000

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 19:41:13 -0400
Strike wrote:

> Kat!  At a personal level, I put 'price' way down on my list of
priorities.
> As far as I'm concerned, I prefer to buy life-suppport equipment from a
> person - and place - that I trust.  No matter the brand name, you're still
> reliant on back-up service if things go awry.

I differ in details but agree with the principal.  Personally, I chose my
equipment or perhaps equipment by several manufacturers that I find
approximately equal to my desires.  Then I shop price.  The availability and
cost of service is always a factor in my choice.  Everything I own except
one of my regulators is a name I've known for a long time.  My Sea Hornet
regulator is unfamiliar (and unservicable) here, but comes highly
recommended by someone I know well (Strike himiself).

> Buy, for example, a Scubapro
> reg in Thailand and then, while in OZ or elsewhere, expect a local dive
> store to service it because of imperfections and you're in for a shock!

This suggests that Scuba Pro regulators are not serviced in Oz.  To tell the
truth, this comes as a surprise.  If I were to guess, U.S. Divers and Scuba
Pro are the two manufacturers I would expect could be serviced anywhere.  Am
I reading you right?  If so, I guess I'll have to hold on to that Sea
Hornet, just in case (not that I'd let it go anyway).

> Your equipment may well go "tits-up"  in other places of the world.  But
if
> you know - and are comfortable with - the people that you've purchased it
> from, then get it serviced locally and again looked at when you return
from
> your travels by the store that sold it to you.  If necessary they'll even
> replace it for a properly functioning unit because they know you and value
> your on-going custom.  Try and do that with an 'inexpensive' unit that
> you've bought elsewhere in the world!  :-)

I've never had a problem with any dive shop.  All of them I've ever visited
have been exceptionally interested in retaining my business and
exceptionally good about assisting with repairs.  On the other hand, there
are some shops that will never touch my equipment again, no matter how much
they smile and offer.

Lee