SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2000

From:
Mike Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 21:22:17 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "David Strike" <[log in to unmask]>

> >The course must be designed to provide a measurable
> >difference in skills & it must B taught in a way that
> >assures that learning is taking place.  Unfortunately
> >the basic curricula of 3-4 dives for such courses does
> >not hack it.
>
> Therein lies - to my way of thinking - one of the problems with many
> "specialty" courses.   They're generally "quick and easy" to teach - and
> many people are content with being taught rather than having a burning
> desire to learn!   :-)

That combined with the "easy money" thing for these type courses makes it
hard to resist for many instructors and shops. Most shops will gladly take
this money and throw a couple dives towards their customers and then
proclaim then xxxxxx divers, rather than take the time and effort to really
teach a certain discipiline.

> >On the consumer side a disease called 'Emblemism' is
> >not uncommon & there R those in the dive industry who
> >R more than willing sell the snake oil.  Not that the
> >snake oil is a curative, just a palliative.
>
> 'Emblemism'!  I like that term.<G>  Sadly it's also often become an excuse
> for people who put off taking any advanced or specialty training -
> especially by those who, despite my broad views on the value of some
> specialty courses, might benefit from the knowledge gained.

This is one reason that I like and prefer the mentor system to advancing
dive education in divers. $$$ is not all their is to dive education. There
is a lot of information shared by those that frequent this group, freely and
without hesitation. I would dearly like to see the same thing happen and
popular dive sites around the world.....

Regards,

Mike