SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2000

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:28:54 +1000
On Wednesday, June 14, 2000 1:25 AM, Quinn wrote:

> Can the learned and experienced divers, particularly the technical, wreck
> and cave divers, recommend an advanced dive magazine?

> The choices I am aware of are:
>    Advanced Diver
>    Deep Diver
>    Imeresed

> Any others? What's the best for learning?  Thanks for your help :-)

As commercial enterprises magazines ultimately depend for survival on
advertising support.  The more esoteric the scope of the editorial, the
smaller the advertising base.  As a consequence many magazines devoted to
particular diving sectors either: (a) Go out of business.  (b) Broaden their
appeal at the expense of their original aims and deliver less and less
hard-core information.

If you can lay your hands on them, I'd be inclined to suggest that an
excellent starting point is to first read through all of the back issues of
'aquaCORPS' and the early issues of 'Immersed' magazines.

Strike