SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2000

From:
Mike Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:01:23 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Quinn H." <[log in to unmask]>

> Mike Wallace wrote:
> > The best tool, in my opinion, in the technical arena, is to find a good
> >tech diver or tech instructor that prefers the mentoring system rather
than
> >the pay me for the weekend course and approach this level of training
this
> >way.
> >
> >The webpage stuff should get you started thinking about gear requirements
> >and possibilities and then on to what type training that you should begin
> >with. Some of the training will apply across the board in the various
> >disciplines, others will pertain to a specific type activity. My
> >recommendation is to start with www.gue.com although I don't think you
> >should stop there.
>
> Thanks Mike. I agree and did not mean to imply that a magazine is going
> to give me the training, etc., necessary.  I find Dive Training magazine
the
> best recreational dive rag in that it is geared toward instructors and
> continuous training. I like that.  I was hoping there might be something
> similar for advanced diving.

I knew that you weren't looking at the mags for training and also did not
mean to imply that you were. <grin>
I also agree about Dive Training but find that most of the technically
orientied mags leave a lot to be disired from my personal standpoint. I have
heard some folks say that they were pleased with the first couple of issues
of Curt Bowens new mag, but I don't recall the name.

> You're right, of course, about mentoring. In fact, I'm currently looking
for
> a tech instructor in my area, and I am a  member of GUE.  I'm looking
> seriously looking at Halcyon gear and the DIR configuration/philosophy.
But
> I also want to take it slow, get some more Atlantic diving in, my PADI DM,
> and NACD Intro to Cave.  What I am trying to do is develop a plan of
> training and education over the next 2 years, taking me to advanced
Nitrox,
> wreck, cave and maybe deco diving, and rebreather. BUT, we'll see how it
> goes.

It sounds like you are on the right path and not just jumping in overly fast
which is a real problem today. Don't know who you are looking at yet for
your Intro course, but I can highly recommend Pat Watson. His email address
is [log in to unmask] if you are interested in discussing  any training
issues with him. He currently serves on the NSS-CDS board of directors and
teaches both NACD, NSS-CDS, Iantd cave from cavern through full cave.

Good luck with your continued training and resource hunting....

Mike