SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2000

Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 21:47:28 +1000

What length was it reported to be? As you well know, there can be quite a
big difference in opinion as to large. :)

> Although once very common along the Sydney coastline, the wholesale
> slaughter - particulalrly diring the mid- to late 'Sixties - saw their
> numbers go into dramatic decline.  Recently declared a protected
> species in
> New South Wales, (but only, from memory,  until something like 2005), it
> would seem that the population is again on the increase.

I didn't realise the protection wasn't permanent; 'tis a pity. I suppose
those I saw must have been juveniles; I wonder where they migrate from/to.

BTW, WRT Qld, is it worth-while taking a camera along (this is with
OceanQuest)? I've read conflicting reports as to the visibility of the
closer reef. And to add on to the motion sickness discussion, how rough are
conditions generally?

Cheers,
Poe