SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2000

From:
Mike Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 17:29:05 -0500
Further info about the Gulf Shores Alabama shark attack...

> I don't know if anyone saw this but it occurred in Gulf Shores, adjacent
> to the Fl Panhandle.  I bet the guy that lost his arm is comforted by
> the fact that once the shark figured he wasn't a fish it let go and
> tasted someone else.
>
> Joe Citelli
>

> > Jun 10, 2000 - 09:40 PM
> > Beach Reopens After Shark Attack
> > The Associated Press
> >
> > GULF SHORES, Ala. (AP) - One of the Gulf Coast's most popular beaches
reopened to swimmers Saturday, a day after Alabama's first confirmed shark
attack in 25 years.
> > "The beach is packed, but there's not many people in the water," said
Kasie Moore, a bartender at the Pink Pony Pub near where the attack
occurred. "They are all asking about it."
> > The attack early Friday prompted officials to close a 30-mile stretch of
land at the height of tourist season.
> > Chuck Anderson, 44, a high school coach and vice principal, lost his
right arm above the elbow. And Richard Watley, a 55-year-old Gulf Shores
barber, was bitten on his right hip and right arm. They were among a group
training for a triathlon when the shark attacked.
> > Both men were in stable condition Saturday, according to a spokeswoman
for South Baldwin Regional Medical Center in Foley.
> > Anderson's wife, Betsy Anderson, said her husband initially felt
something underneath him.
> > "He thought it was a log or something," she said. "The next thing he
remembered was the shark took his right hand. The only way he's alive is he
pulled his arm out of the shark's mouth."
> > It wasn't immediately known what kind of shark attacked the men.
> > Biologists planned to make periodic flights over the beach looking for
sharks and large schools of fish throughout the weekend, said Vernon Minton,
director of the marine resources division of the Alabama Department of
Conservation and Natural Resources.
> > AP-ES-06-10-00 2141EDT
> > © Copyright 2000 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material
may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.