SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2000

From:
John Nitrox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 12:11:19 -0500
At 07:50 PM 6/1/00 +1000, Christian wrote:

>OK, I wasn't going to buy into this one ... but.
>
>Horses for courses (which is not in the least to say that I condone
>horse racing, I don't).
>
>I too use a Scubapro. It is _extremely_ low volume (sorry, there's no
>specific name on it), has twin lenses (only) and has a _black_ silicone
skirt.

>Why? I like to photograph unnawata, which means that the closer my eye
>can get to the viewfinder the better I like it, the less light between
>me and the viewfinder the better I like it and the less peripheral
>vision I have the better I like it.

        For my racetrack money, Christian is right.  Low volume masks are easier
to travel with (especially if you must travel with several masks), easier
to clear, and with a minimum of windows less likely to leak.  As far as
peripheral vision goes, well, those of us with stronger corrections, who
must have glued in lenses, won't be seeing anything peripherally anyway.
My primary backup (oxymoron alert) mask is a Dacor Bandit that is so small
I can tuck it into a pocket.

        What I first look for in a mask is one that fits, i.e., doesn't leak much.
 After that I want a mask that is easy to clear, they say that purges work
much better now, but no thank you, I think we've all been down that road.
Beyond that, low volume and so forth, are just plusses.

        BTW, if you have a favorite mask which has a skirt that fits particularly
well but which has been discontinued, the manufacturer will often be able
to replace a broken faceplate even though the mask is no longer being
manufactured.

DPTNST,

John