SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2000

From:
Mike Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 22:26:42 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent Lind" <[log in to unmask]>

> The Halcyon lift bags have a closed circuit inflator. To inflate you must
pull
> off either your BC inflator hose or your drysuit inflator and plug it into
the
> lift bag.

Yep, I use the drysuit hose.

> This system might work perfectly great in warm Florida water where you
have
> lightweight gloves or no gloves at all.  However, I'm not convinced it's
the
> best approach for cold water diving because pulling your inflator hoses
off
> and on is not nearly as easy with heavy gloves or mitts.

I wear pretty heavy gloves for the local diving here during the winter and
haven't had any problem with the drysuit inflator hose and inflating the
bag...

> I haven't actually tried the Halcyon wings in cold water but I have tried
> pulling inflator hoses off and on and it isn't always easy with heavy
gloves
> and cold hands.  I would also hate to shoot a lift bag and then get into
> buoyancy trouble and then not be able to inflate my wing because the hose
is
> off of it.

I agree that not being able to inflate my wings would be less than fun.
That's why I use the drysuit hose. Plus it's easier to pull it off, put it
back on...

> The other option would be to install a separate inflator hose on my rig
just
> for lift bag inflation.  But this seems like an extra convolution.

I agree. No need to add any unnecessary convolution here.

> The OMS lift bags and SMBs are open on the bottom but still have a
no-spill
> design.  So that you can fill them with your regulator (or lean back and
fill
> them with the regulator exaust or BC inflator exaust) but they will still
hold
> their gas on the surface.  I have never had a problem with inflating a
lift
> bag using the purge on my long hose regulator.  I just purge squirts of
air
> into it rather than holding down the purge button.

I have not used the OMS bags. Have used the Carter's and don't care for them
at all.

> The old style Carter lift bags can tip over and spill out the air on the
> surface so they need to be used more carefully.  That's why I like the OMS
> bags better.
>
> Also, I'm not positive if you can manually inflate the Halcyon lift bags.
> Perhaps someone who has one can tell us.  If you are drifting on the
surface
> and have used all your gas, you still want to be able to inflate that
safety
> sausage.  You can blow into the OMS sausage and inflate it that way
without a
> regulator.  I'm not sure if you can do the same with the Halcyon

You can inflate them manually but it's a pain to do so. The inflator quick
disconnect is small and the orifice is not quick to add air manually.
Overall, I have been pleased with the Halycon bag though.

Thanks...

Mike

Beach)