HP3000-L Archives

May 2000, Week 4

From:
Steve Dirickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Dirickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 12:32:19 -0700
> You forgot to add that to develop anything larger than a one
> program screen
> in Transact et al takes about (aboot) the same length of time
> as in Cobol.
> In fact, I would prefer to do it in Cobol but a craftsman
> never blames his
> tools....

Say what? I've done very little COBOL and lots of Transact, so I'm
certainly not an expert on both languages. However, just based on the
number of characters it takes to express a particular construct in
COBOL, I don't see how a proficient COBOL programmer, even with
copylibs and such, can be as productive as a proficient Transact
programmer. What am I missing?

Steve Dirickson   WestWin Consulting
[log in to unmask]   (360) 598-6111