HP3000-L Archives

May 2000, Week 4

From:
"Graham, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graham, Robert
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 12:16:25 -0600
someone wrote:

> I have worked with systems of moderate to extreme complexity based upon
> PowerHouse and PowerHouse alone. The dictum was, if you can't do it in PH
> then it cannot be done...

Actually, that is MOSTLY true.

Over the years, I've run across two or three situations that simply couldn't be done in Powerhouse, even with the help of the folks at Cognos.  One particularly frustrating situation involved calculating percentages based on a sum of sums of sums.  No combination of subfiles, subtotals, etc, etc, etc would work.  I finally ended up using Quiz to gather the data and create the totals I needed, then fed the whole thing to COBOL to calculate the percentages and print the report.  A kludge?  Yeah, probably, but it was only intended as a "quick-and-dirty"...how was I to know the stupid thing would take on a life of it's own and still be in production eight years later.  Besides, after awhile, it became a matter of PRINCIPLE!  No way was some stupid computer going to tell ME what it would do and what it wouldn't!!!  :-))

But then, (be honest, now) how many of us thought the COBOL stuff we wrote in the sixty's would make us all rich thirty-five years later???!!!

What!!!  You aren't rich?  I thought all computer types got rich off Y2K?

Bob Graham
Director of AMISYS Computing Support

"To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the
opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself." -
Sun T'zu, "The Art of War"