HP3000-L Archives

May 2000, Week 4

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 08:25:03 -0700
Ted Ashton wrote:

> Thus it was written in the epistle of Neil Harvey,
> > Come to think of it, so would a simple example of PERL doing the same thing
> > - IIRC Perl can call the Image Intrinsics and format the returned data.
>
> Unfortunately, unless something has happened about which I have not heard,
> Perl cannot yet access IMAGE.  I set to work on this quite some time ago,
> caused an SA on our only 3000 and ceased work.  I'm now within a short time of
> having a 3000 and (more importantly) perhaps some time I can invest, so I
> remain hopeful :-).

You're up to date.  I'm not aware of any work completed so far to allow Perl to
directly access Image, though many people have asked about this, and myself
personally and people within CSY know how cool this would be.

People who use Perl today to access Image typically use a Perl CGI script as a
wrapper that calls a traditional 3GL program to do the Image I/O.

> > I know this is a bit cheeky, and I don't expect those developing commercial
> > applications to reveal secret methodologies, but maybe the Java team, the
> > Apache team and the Perl team can post these.
>
> So far as I can tell, "the Perl team" on the 3000 consists of 2 or maybe 3
> people who are desperately busy doing something else . . .

Actually the Perl 3000 team consists of more than 2 or 3 people.  ;-)  Perl is
doing production work on e3000s at Fortune 500 companies.

My own role in the Perl 3000 team will be to attempt to break some new ground
over the coming long US weekend.  Stay tuned.

- Mark B.