HP3000-L Archives

May 2000, Week 3

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 15:54:49 -0700
Mark writes:
> The HP WebWise MPE/iX Secure Web Server (p/n B9074AA) became orderable on
> May 1st and will begin first customer shipments on or about May 22nd.
>
> The product is list-priced according to machine tier, as listed below:
>
> Tier I   (option 310) - $1,290
> Tier II  (option 330) - $1,590
> Tier III (option 340) - $1,995
>
> When you consider that CSY used to sell the old non-secure OpenMarket web
> server for $10,000, paying just $1,995 to buy the WebWise Secure
> Web Server for the largest of Tier III e3000 machines is a heck of a
> deal!

Bravo to CSY for making the pricing extremely reasonable!

I'll just mention that in order to use the "secure" features of the server,
I believe you need to get your encryption key signed by Verisign or another
first tier CA, which cost something like $400/year the last time I checked
(which was at least a couple years ago).  I only mention this because, at
these low prices for the server, the key signing charge may become a
non-trivial percentage of the cost of setting up a secure web site.

A potential gotcha with the WebWise server is that (I assume) HP won't/can't
release the source code for it, so if you need Apache compiled with some
special option then you're out of luck until you can convince HP to change
the way they build their version.  It's also not clear how often the product
will be updated to the latest Apache version, or how long it will take to
get each new version released.

Of course you could always run a mixture of the latest free Apache for most
purposes and use the WebWise server to serve only your https secure stuff,
so this may not be a big problem.

I'm sure Mark or someone else will clear up any misconceptions that I may
have acquired.

G.