HP3000-L Archives

May 2000, Week 3

From:
Steve Dirickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Dirickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 12:00:16 -0700
> I am looking a writing a program that will use software
> interrupt on a msg
> file. But I see in the manual that you cannot do this in
> Cobol. Does anybody
> know if you can do this in Transact/xl? Can  anybody explain
> how to create a
> procedure label (plabel) and reference it in Transact?

Unfortunately, it can't be done; Transact/iX has no way, at the
moment, to export an externally-callable entry point. We discussed
this fairly extensively at IP..er SIG3000 this spring; here's that the
SIGRAPID ballot said:

  Item 8  -  Support "callback" capability in Transact/iX as required
by, for example, XCONTRAP.

Expanded descriptions of items:
  Item 8    Transact/iX should support "callback" functionality. For
example, Transact programs can not call the XCONTRAP or XSYSTRAP
intrinsics; those intrinsics require the address of a function/entry
point to call when the trap occurs, and Transact has no way to provide
such an address. The "command sequence" construct indicates that the
Transact runtime has the ability to control program execution based on
external input; the issue is how to safely expose that control in
other contexts.

This discussion went on on the SIGRAPID mailing list in March. If
you're a Transact user, you might want to subscribe to the list. The
easiest way to do so is from
 http://www.interex.org/cgi/lists.cgi?list=rapid

Steve Dirickson   WestWin Consulting
[log in to unmask]   (360) 598-6111