HP3000-L Archives

May 2000, Week 3

From:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 13:23:25 -0700
Randy Keefer writes:

>I propose
>the following:
>
>CQ = 152,255        DQ = 190,250         EQ = 150,151
>
>How it works is very simple.  Your user community and developers/operators
>logon into the CQ.  ....  Developers are bad, because they
>compile online and execute large serial queries of databases and files.
>They can suck up alot of CPU.  This can affect your onlines users some, but
>can stop batch jobs (in the DQ) in their tracks.  Using the above scheme,
>any online process in the CQ that uses vast amounts of CPU will quickly drop
>their queue value to 255.  Batch jobs in the DQ run between 190 and 250.
>Thus, batch jobs will have a slight edge over these "bad online users".
>...The EQ is
>tuned so that it has priority over all online and batch users, therefore, if
>a crisis arrises, the System Manager will have a prompt that receives time
>right away.  The EQ can also be used when a batch job needs to be "rushed"
>through.

The problem with this method is that "bad" users -- by which I assume you
mean malicious, since the normal set of queues allows anyone to run at a
lower priority (higher numerical value) than the default -- can simply do
everything in the ES queue. All of MPE's process security structure
assumes CS <= DS <= ES (numerical). Thus the :JOBPRI command can be used
to restrict jobs from running in the CS queue, but won't prevent jobs
from running in ES. Similarly, programs like QEDIT, which allow
specifying the priority of subtasks, have security that assumes it's OK
if the user requests the ES queue.

If some of your users are truly malicious, this scheme makes it easy to
put their work ahead of other users'.

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
btoback AT optc.com                |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Mail sent to [log in to unmask] will be inspected for a
fee of US$250. Mailing to said address constitutes agreement to
pay, including collection costs.