HP3000-L Archives

May 2000, Week 3

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 09:52:51 -0700
Jean Huot wrote:
> I've deleted config.cache to do a clean reconfigure and inserted:
>
>     LIBS="-lsocket" ./configure --host=hppa1.0-hp-bsd
>
> and ran it again.
>
> checking for library with inet_addr... no
> configure: warning: Unable to find library for inet_addr function
>
>  It still cannot find inet_addr.  Do I also have to include -lnsl.  Someone
> suggested I try
> RESOLVLIB= -lsocket -lnsl, but it says right at the start lsocket not found.

The following results in a clean configure for me on lynx 2.8.3:

CFLAGS="-DMPE -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_SOCKET_SOURCE -I/SYSLOG/PUB" \
LIBS="-L/SYSLOG/PUB -lsyslog -lsocket" \
ac_cv_type_off_t=yes \
ac_cv_type_pid_t=yes \
ac_cv_type_uid_t=yes \
ac_cv_type_mode_t=yes \
./configure --host=hppa1.0-hp-mpeix

The ac_cv_xxx stuff is cheating to convince configure that a few symbols really
do exist on MPE.  This didn't use to be necessary; I'm still investigating this
problem.

If I try to run a "make" at this point, it promptly dies when it tries to
include header files that MPE lacks *and* configure checked for and knows they
are missing.  So why does the source try to unconditionally include them?
Grrrr.

These are typical header files used by many programs, and their absence on MPE
isn't a serious problem.  I leave it as an exercise for the reader to either
modify the sources to #ifndef MPE around the bogus includes, or to modify
CFLAGS to point to an MPE-only include directory where you can create these
missing files to contain a dummy comment so the compiler won't complain.

- Mark B.