HP3000-L Archives

May 2000, Week 3

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 11:03:11 -0700
I'd swear I read a note somewhere from someone either at HP or with Interex
(however all efforts to find it have so far failed) that proposed adding
several products to the shared source initiative. One was ping. The reason I
remember it is I thought at the time it would be a perfect candidate because
it is relatively small and is probably not dependent on any other software.
Also, I too have felt for a long time that ping.net.sys was inadequate.
While capabilities have not been an issue with me, certainly it's inability
to ping by name makes it mostly useless. And nettool's ping-by-name seems to
take an inordinately long time to resolve the name.

But the real issue here is that while I would like to see a better
ping.net.sys, I don't want CSY using any precious engineering time enhancing
it. Does anyone know enough about how ping works to determine if a shared
source version is feasible?

John Burke