HP3000-L Archives

May 2000, Week 3

From:
Wayne Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 09:39:36 -0500
Without taking a position on either side of the "OZ Question," I'd like to point
out something C.S. Lewis said about literary criticism.  He said that there was
one case in which he was perfectly aware of the accuracy of reviewers'
reconstructions of a novelist's work -- his own.  And in nearly every case in
which critics tried to explain the influences, allegories, and intentions that
went into his novels, they got it wrong.  This led him to wonder how much of
what is taught about literary classics goes unchallenged only because the
authors are dead and can't raise objections.

Another case in point is the work of Lewis' friend, J.R.R. Tolkien.  Many people
saw the struggle between East and West to possess the One Ring in "The Lord of
the Rings" as an allusion to the Cold War and nuclear weapons.  After all, it
was a weapon of ultimate power, it could not be used safely even by those with
good intentions, and the only way to deal with it was to destroy it.  Everything
fits very well, except that Tolkien developed the basic structure of the story
many years before the advent of nuclear energy.  He was unable to get it
published at the time; only after the publication of "The Hobbit" in the Cold
War era was he able to find publishers interested in the earlier story.  Tolkien
himself strenuously denied that it had anything to do with nuclear weapons.

Wayne

Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]> on 05/19/2000 01:18:16 AM

Please respond to [log in to unmask]