HP3000-L Archives

May 2000, Week 3

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 15:24:47 +0100
In article <[log in to unmask]>
, Wayne Brown <[log in to unmask]> writes
>I like to see both product announcements AND jokes.  But I would get tired of
>seeing the same joke over and over.
>
>The same "come-visit-3kWorld-we're-the-greatest-blah-blah-blah" message has
>been
>posted so many times that when they post a new message about something
>interesting (like the chat transcript notice that started this discussion), I
>don't see it.  As soon as the phrase "3KWorld" catches my eye, I hit the delete
>key.  If it hadn't been for all the discussion over this particular message,
>I'd
>never have noticed that it was about something new.  (And, of course, I've
>already deleted the original message.)
>
>Announcements are OK, but once ought to be enough for any announcement.

Well, to be fair, it isn't always the *same* announcement.

It's usually a new thing that one of the 3kworld guys is 'excited'
about. Admittedly, each posting goes up twice, but that's only because
they can never get the URL right the first time.

It's paradoxical, though, that in a world where one of my sometime beefs
(though rarely in this list) is that someone has posted a huge lump of
something into a newsgroup, instead of just giving a URL to a website
where those who want it can go, that my beef here is 3kworld doing the
*opposite*.

The URLs I've followed (not many) do not generally lead to something
whose size would be out of place on HP3000-L. (The Monster Transcript is
an exception of course - a URL to that *is* the right thing).

But if they have something valuable to share, why hoard it? The rest of
us wouldn't. And if not, why post about it at all?

Another qualm might be about them not reading the ng/list. Now if not,
that *would* be spamming. Think they are reading this thread? Probably.

Think they read the 'webgeek' URL ones? Well, I posted three weeks ago
about a glitch on the ClientSystems web pages. And followed up a week
ago. It's still broken. (I could email them direct, but this is a
*test*).

But, as some here have said, at least it's a place on the web where
people may happen across HP3000-related stuff. And where they can read
some of HP300-L, other than by subscribing, taking comp.sys.hp.mpe, or
using Deja. This extra, completely free, and unfettered, access to
HP3000-L can't be bad. Can it?

--
Roy Brown  'Have nothing on your systems that you do not know to be
Affirm Ltd  useful, or believe to be beautiful'. (After) Wm Morris.