HP3000-L Archives

May 2000, Week 3

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 14:07:43 +0200
Mark wrote...
>Sorry, but I don't have a list of e3000 model numbers for each pricing tier.

I vaguely recall that in one of the recent Interex Answerline digests one
of the Beechglen gurus mentioned a URL where a HP 3000 tier table can be
found online... You might want to visit the Interex web site to verify the
details, but I believe, the URL was...

 http://businessservers.hp.com/europe/news/tiers.html

Gavin mentioned...
>A potential gotcha with the WebWise server is that (I assume) HP won't/can't
>release the source code for it, so if you need Apache compiled with some
>special option then you're out of luck until you can convince HP to change
>the way they build their version.

While Gavin is probably right, I would like to add that the Web Wise server
is fortunately based on Apache 1.3.9 and has DSO (dynamic shared object)
capability built in. This allows to add modules without recompiling the core
server program. You basically provide an appropriate NMXL and configure the
additional module in the httpd.conf file.

I tried it with mod_jserv and was able to add Java Servlet capabilities to
the Web Wise server this way. This allowed me to use either CGI programs
or Java Servlets for dynamic web pages over an encrypted connection. Notice
that modules added via DSO are *not* supported by CSY or the HP RC (unless
you try going the "time & materials" route ;-)

So, if you download the mod_jserv binaries from my web page to extend your
HP Web Wise secure web server... Please don't blame CSY or the HP Response
Center if something should not work as desired ;-)

Lars (not speaking for HP here)

( http://www.editcorp.com/personal/lars_appel/index.html -> Apache JServ )