HP3000-L Archives

May 2000, Week 2

From:
chris bullivant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
chris bullivant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 15:11:26 +1000
Hello anyone,
        I come from a UNIX background, and although I've been *using*
MPE for about 2 years, when it comes to anything of a deeper system
nature I'm at a bit of a loss.

For about 6 months (on and off) I've been working on converting an
Interbase database to an ORACLE database. This is because our front end
(screens, reports etc.) are Powerhouse and COGNOS no longer support
Interbase.

The problem I'm getting *seems* to be: when I test the load by
simulating about 20 users trying to load the main menu screen
simultaneously, it works (verry slowly) for a short while then the
various sessions get TNS errors along the lines of: 00513 : Destination
Host unreachable; 12203 : Unable to connect to destination; 12564 :
TNS:connection refused; and a few others. The last time I killed the
LISTENER process. On one occasion I got the error when I was the only
person hitting the database.

I thought that the Listener didn't have enough handlers, so I copied the
bit on Pre-Spawning out of the documentation, and stopped, then started
the Listener. Shortly afterwards the entire machine crashed (I was not
at all popular). The System Manager believes that if you change the
Listener parameters, you have to re-boot the machine (can this possibly
be right??).

Does this scenario sound in any way familiar to anyone? I would
appreciate any insight that anyone has. I'm very much struggling in the
dark here, so *anything* would help.

Thanks in advance,

Chris Bullivant,
University of Southern Queensland,