HP3000-L Archives

May 2000, Week 2

From:
"Graham, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graham, Robert
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 13:40:46 -0600
I had a 918RX in a "computer room" that was about 12-by-12 and shared with
about half a dozen servers of various types.  However, in that case, the
room was both filtered and air-conditioned.  We also had a largish Compaq
server (about the size/heat characteristics of a 918) that was in a
fan-ventilated wiring closet, and didn't have any significant problems,
although I did spend more time on cleaning and PM than one might imagine.
In your situation, I sure would push for a space that could be both filtered
and air-conditioned.  In my experience, those small 3000's can tolerate
fairly high temperatures, but absolutely will not tolerate wide fluctuations
in temperature nor will they accept blowing dust and dirt.  HP says the
small machines are "desk-top" friendly, but that's not what I've seen.

Bob Graham
Director of Applications Programming
505.923.8064

"It is good that war is so terrible, else we should become too fond of
it!" - MG William Tecumseh Sherman