HP3000-L Archives

May 2000, Week 2

Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 07:55:38 -0700
>Ì'm trying to compile a C program under Posix and I get the following message:

>CAN'T FIND LIBRARY stdc++ (LINKERR 1051)

>What does it mean, and how do I solve this problem?

Are you trying to compile a C program or C++ program? If the former,
why are you using the g++ driver (or did someone rename g++ to gcc)?

The g++ driver by default includes a library called libstdc++.a that
includes the standard C++ I/O routines. If you're not using C++ or
you don't use C++ I/O, you can dispense with that library (include
the switch -nostdc++ on the compile command).

But, if you're using C++ and using C++ I/O, then that indicates you
did not install the GNULIBS distribution (or that it didn't get
completely installed if you did try). One thing that can cause this
is a tar anomoly whereby tar doesn't purge an existing file before
writing a file of the same name over it. This isn't a problem when
restoring byte stream files since the FLIMIT is out at the maximum.
But, when restoring any of the traditional MPE file types where the
EOF usually matches the FLIMIT, attempting to restore a larger file
than what currently exists on the disk usually fails.

Try using the REMOVE script in the GNULIBS.FREEWARE group before
running INSTALL.GNULIBS.FREEWARE.