HP3000-L Archives

May 2000, Week 2

From:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 17:50:18 -0500
>>> Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]> 05/10 7:56 PM >>>
OK, they got my interest with that price, so I checked out the
speedware web site.

Unless I missed something, Autobahn II appears to not support
Apache's API, which means using plain ole CGI on the e3000.

Did I miss something?  With WebWise coming from HP, they are
missing a big opportunity.

Richard,

I haven't used Apache yet, but I've done some stuff with the
old Open market server from HP. If Apache's API is in an XL,
or NMRL then you should be able to make calls to those
API routines from within the Autobahn Code editor. When
using Autobahn, the CGI used on your e3000 actually ends
up going to the SPW4GL program, in the SPEEDWRE
account of your e3000. (Correct me if I'm wrong Speedware
Tech's).

To add Apache's library to the list you'll need to go into
LINKEDIT and

ALTPROG  PROG=SPW4GL.SPW70xxx.SPEEDWRE ;XL=[current XL list + {apache's XL name}, ]

First let me say that I do not own a copy of Autobahn (YET),
but have done some WEB programming in the past, and I
am currently writing Speedware apps for the dumb-terminal
character mode environment. Everything I know about
Autobahn I have picked up from a two day test drive of
Autobahn, and speaking with Speedware staff & Autobahn
owners at SpedExpo2000.

CGI is used extensively in Autobahn. The linkage between
HTML/CGI/ and databases are being handle by Autobahn,
WEB programming experience is not needed.  For the
experienced WEB programmers with existing CGI code that
they want to use, no problem. From the Autobahn
development platform, go to HTML Editor, and add your
own CGI stuff. Better yet, go to Autobahn's code editor and
write your CGI in the Speedware 4GL language, which is not
as cryptic as Perl or C. The SPW4GL has existed in the
Speedware environment  years before the conception of
Autobahn. As a result, long-time Speedware users can
make use of pre-existing logic routines as common
gateway interfaces to dynamic HTML pages. The SPW4GL
has always had the ability to call program/subroutines
written in other languages, so I can't imagine why it wouldn't
be able to make calls to Apache's API. Except for a rumor
(May not be true!) of a BUG found on the M.P.E. platform.
Problems making calls between POSIX & Native M.P.E./ix.
Something to do with having two separate process tables,
and separate memory management. I'll bet some of our
POSIX or M.P.E. experts, like Mark Bixby or Stan Sieler
could verify this, or maybe it's been fixed.  Has anyone had
problems calling routines compiled by native M.P.E.
compilers from programs compiled using POSIX compilers
like GNU? and likewise.

Michael Anderson
Student Services Programmer/Analyst
Spring Independent School District, Houston, Texas, 77090
281.586.1105