HP3000-L Archives

May 2000, Week 2

From:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 10:28:08 -0700
Erik Vistica wrote:

> Good news is, I get the same results in my tests. :-)
> Bad  news is, I get the same results in my tests. :-(

well at least i'm not completely insane :-)  partially...but not completely
:-)

> The examples in the System Startup, Configuration, and Shutdown
> Reference Manual show hardcoded passwords.

(yeah, i saw that too....not exactly heart-warming....)

> So, it seems that it is more of a 'feature', er, 'known limitation?'
> rather than a bug. I agree that leaving passwords in a file in PUB.SYS
> is undesirable. The RCAN addresses this by suggesting the use of ALTSEC
> after  editing SYSSTART. While that does solve it, I personally would
> forget.

ummm, someone mentioned that changing the sysstart file with editor would
undo the security modifications.  knowing editor, that's probably true (but
i didn't test it).  however, a certain well-known editor from a certain
canadian company (starts with an 'r' :-) leaves the security mods in place
(i did test that).  someone else also mentioned placing an 'altsec' command
in the sysstart file.  i don't think you can do that...but doing an altsec
in some start-up job stream is probably good insurance.  and given this
morning's question about 'why didn't my sysstart file get executed' (ummm,
because you didn't blindfold it first? (hehehe))....it may be a good
practice to also do an 'altfile...;owner=' as well.

> I like the suggestion that Russ Smith made:
> > How about this?  If your console is in a secure location and your SYS
> > account (and possibly OPERATOR.SYS userid, as well) is passworded, why
> > not modify your logon UDC to test for HPLDEVIN=20, HPJOBTYPE=S and
> > HPJOBNUM=1 to bypass the need for a session name.  If you have the
> > ranges for SESSNUM (use SETCOUNTER to set iterations) set to preclude
> > session number 1, this should be secure.

yes, this is also a good suggestion.  thanks for looking into this
erik!           - d

--
Donna Garverick     Sr. System Programmer