HP3000-L Archives

May 2000, Week 2

From:
bArtoque <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 17:01:53 +0200
Good day,

Some maybe would argue that that is what (e)3000 are good at: "gathering
dust", but I think we should undust 'm, make 'm freely available. Just look
at the enormously booming LINUX market, give it for free, and a lot of
people got it and eventualy started using it.
This also could work for (e)3000's, but (ofcourse) in a different way, by
giving the world the possibility to try these machines out, to see whether
it's s'thing worth their while. 'Cause that's the problem maybe with
(e)3000's, WHO actually knows where they are used. Until 3/4 of a year ago,
I NEVER even heard of MPE, although it's used worldwide (in a (much) smaller
quantity than UNIX ofcourse, but still...) as webservers for instance.
Let the world see what it can do, proof that it isn't an outdated operating
system (which, by-the-way, even a lot of HP people themselves never even
heard off or do not really know what it is, how can one expect the world to
know?). Show people the stability of the system (unless, ofcourse, you got a
defective I/O card, damm'd... Working day of 20 hours. Sorry, that's besides
the point...) by letting them try a lot of stuff themselves: configuring
(e)3000's as webservers, installing software/patches (seems a bit troubling
because of the distance and because you normally do a lot of things from
tape (darn')), trying out commandfiles/UDC's, making use of applications to
see whether it's something for own (future) use (MPEX, QEDIT and I can
imagine a lot of other applics. Maybe even softwarecompanies would freely
spare software, so that one can see it working on a (non-production)
machine, where one can do solely testing to so if it fits your expectations
without having the hassle of installing s'thing for only 2 or 3 weeks, and
having to remove it afterwards).

But I'm probably to naive to see s'thing  like this happening (in the near
future). But still I'm convinced that for a lot off applications in the
future, the applics will be free, you'll (only) have to pay for support and
documentation (just like with LINUX).

Greetings to yee all,

bArtoque