HP3000-L Archives

May 2000, Week 2

From:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 16:29:09 -0700
Wirt writes:

>India is scheduled to hit one billion people tomorrow.

I could understand "expected", but "scheduled"? Who's in charge of
scheduling reproduction?

>The entire population of the planet Earth at the time of Jesus was only about
>100 million people...

What's really noteworthy isn't the factor of 60 in 2000 years, but the
factor of 10 in the first 1900 years, followed by the factor of 6 in the
last century. I suppose the good news is that Moore's Law has a doubling
time of two years, as opposed to humans' current 30 years. So there'll be
lots more people than there are now, but they'll be able to play lots
better computer games than they can now.

-- Bruce

PS. Why is India hitting them? Did they do something bad?

- B

PPS. Sorry. It's been a long day without much other amusement.

- B

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
btoback AT optc.com                |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Mail sent to [log in to unmask] will be inspected for a
fee of US$250. Mailing to said address constitutes agreement to
pay, including collection costs.