HP3000-L Archives

May 2000, Week 1

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 13:50:54 -0400
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> > Hi Gary, use both MiniSoft and Reflection.  Unfortunately we haven't > gotte
> en
> all of the PC's up to the later version.  In my opinion, both work > very well
> l.
>  The only problem with Minisoft is that it will not transfer > without reason.
> .
> Other times it
>  will say something like "Host file out of > date."  I don't know what causes
> this but usually after downloading a new > transfer file or waiting for a bit
> of time, the error corrects. Last, it > appears that Minisoft can down load
> much faster then
>  Reflection.  I am > personally biased to Reflection and would use it
> permanently until the > college changes it to something else.

I've used all the above (and AdvancedLink/Business Session and a few others).
Reflection is the cadillac of terminal emulators... none of the others still
come close to it's functionality... though it also comes with a cadillac
price tag. I personally use Reflection because I use many of the fancier
features on a regular basis (and don't enable telnet on most of the machines
I run). For "regular" users though, MS92 would be the emulator of choice,
though for shops running telnet, I think QCTerm will soon become the choice
du jour.

FWIW I have done side by side benchmarks of download times (I do a LOT of
uploading and downloading) and Reflection is 4-6 times faster than Minisoft's
transfers in all cases. For our users doing heavy download/uploading, we've
installed Reflection on their machines just for that reason. R1's transfers
are also more reliable and have many more options; but you do pay a premium
for that.

I also use Reflection as the terminal emulator of choice on the PCs I use
as system consoles on my 3000s, mainly because Reflection can be configured to
"remember" in excess of 5,000 pages of terminal memory. MS92 is limited to
~20 as I recall.

  -Chris eBartram