HP3000-L Archives

May 2000, Week 1

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 13:02:14 EDT
Gary writes:

> IIRC though, QCTerm requires that you run Telnet.  This may be an issue with
>  your shop.

That's true. We made the decision -- actually quite some time ago -- that the
advantages of telnet were so significant that we decided that we would not
bother supporting NS/VT. While NS/VT is the historically overwhelming
communications protocol used by terminal emulators on the HP3000 today, that
usage percentage is likely to drop every year from now on out, until finally,
it becomes a rarity.

Telnet is the universal standard of the internet. Virtually all devices, even
your printers and routers, speak telnet. NS/VT, on the other hand, is
restricted primarily only to the HP3000. Having the capacity to talk to
anyone, anywhere from your terminal emulator is simply an extraordinary, a
night-and-day difference.

If you aren't using telnet yet, you'll want to at least think about it
implementing it soon.

Wirt Atmar