HP3000-L Archives

May 2000, Week 1

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 17:50:45 -0700
Hi HP3000-L,

"Leonard S. Berkowitz" wrote:

> Is there any software on the HP3000-L for encrypting files prior to transfering
> them via the Internet?

The HP WebWise MPE/iX Secure Web Server extra-cost product (P/N B9074AA)
includes the openssl command line utility from www.openssl.org to be used for
server key and certificate manipulation.

This utility can do many other things too, including general purpose file
encryption/decryption using the RC2, RC4, RC5, DES, and DES3 algorithms.
However, since WebWise itself doesn't use this openssl feature, it's not
documented in the WebWise documentation, and it's NOT supported by HP (kind of
like how stuff in TELESUP is not "supported").

The file encryption/decryption function prefers POSIX bytestream files.  MPE
file attributes are not retained.  I have no idea of how well it interoperates
with any other encryption/decryption utilities.

If you have needs for robust, supported encryption/decryption tools, you should
probably make these needs known to security-related ISVs such as Monterey
Software Group or Vesoft or any others who I neglect to mention only due to my
finite brain capacity.

- Mark B.