HP3000-L Archives

May 2000, Week 1

From:
Barry Lake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barry Lake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 10:26:11 -0700
At 10:13 AM -0700 5/4/00, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>Please remember, if you're not expecting the attachment, don't open it!
>
>(This includes the various spreadsheet attachments from the other day.
>Of course, it would be helpful if they weren't sent in the first place.)

This may now be veering a little off the original topic, but wouldn't it be
possible for the LISTSERV to scan attachments for viruses before forwarding
them on to thousands of subscribers? Certainly, it is ultimately each
individual's responsibility to maintain the security and integrity of his
or her computer, but when you consider how advanced our software has become
these days, it doesn't seem like too much to ask of a list server to filter
out virus ridden attachments.

>P.S.  Of course, this is yet another reason why the Macintosh is a
>      competitive advantage:  WAY fewer viruses. :)

Not to mention the fact (oops, I guess I *am* mentioning it) that Macs are
in general far more difficult to hack into, or otherwise compromise, than
either unix or windows.

>      (D-oh!  Gotta resist next time. ;)

Resistance is futile!

B.