HP3000-L Archives

April 2000, Week 4

From:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:00:44 -0700
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Donna Garverick wrote:
> > so i try printing to the
> > beast...nothing...other than console messages saying
> > something about being unable to communicate with the printer
> > <sigh>
>
> > is it time to scare up an external jet direct?
>
> In a word, YES!  One of my remote sites recently purchased a LineJet 1500Q
> with the aforementioned "network card" in it.  Even with the onsite help of
> one HP engineer and a rep from the OEM manufacturer of the printer, they
> have NOT SUCCEEDED in getting the firmware in the card to agree with the
> firmware in the printer to reliably print over the network.  We continue to
> test this configuration with their help.  So, if you NEED the "work option"
> installed for your printer, your best bet is to go the external JetDirect
> box route.

it sounds like you're having a tough time.  we're making slow but steady
progress.  i'll start by saying these printers have got to be the most
complicated things i've seen in a long long time.  i think we've got *four*
manuals -- and we're using all of them -- for setting up the printers.

> I'll keep everyone posted as to WHEN the "non"-JetDirect card works in the
> LineJet series of printers.  Hopefully, it will be sooner rather than
> later.

right now <knock knock>, we're using the network interface that came with the
printers.  we can print (finally) but we've still got some work to do.  some
lessons learned (good ol' army term :-)...
- you've got to set up the backchannel.  i have no idea what this means but
once this is done the 3000 will start talking to the printer.
- if you are going to use the print manager software, you need jre 1.1.8.  the
current offering from sun (1.2) is too new.
- to connect the print manager software to the printer you need to select
'debug ethernet'.  (another one of those 'i have no idea' things...but it
works...)

i think the printer manager software is pretty cool.  you 'see' the control
buttons on the printer -- so anything you can physically configure...you can
remotely configure :-)  also, when the printer is active, you see what box is
sending the print plus (at least for mpe) the spool id number.  internally, the
printer supports a host of networking 'toys' like bootp and external logging.
it's also kinda cool that you point your browser to the printer and make a
connection -- even 'reboot'(!) the printer.

i'll keep you posted....           - d

(btw -- thanks to pat from hp for all her help!)

--
Donna Garverick     Sr. System Programmer