HP3000-L Archives

April 2000, Week 4

From:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:33:36 -0700
Chris Bartram wrote:

> It should be noted that [5] and [15} already have free/proven solutions
> available. The lpreset(?) program lets you change the initial logon-prompt
> to a message, and the UDCs on Jazz that take care of the acct/group
> new/alt/purge commands automatically. Both work well - I've been using both
> on several systems for quite a while.
>
> > SIG SysMan 2000 Ballot
>
> [snip]
>
> > [   ]   item #5:  Initial connection text
> > item description:
> > Required by many companies - the government in particular.
>
> Lpreset solution in use and working well at the Government site I manage.
> Security personnel like it.
>
> We also use it to put up messages telling users applications are down (i.e.
> don't bother trying to log on right now...)

while chris is quite right, let me try to explain why these are ballot items.

while lpreset is available as freeware, it's being offered 'as is'.  this 'use
at your own risk' policy is troublesome for many companies.  additionally,
lpreset works by going into debug to make it's modifications.  this can create
os update issues.  so sysman is asking that this function become an integral
part of mpe.  don't misunderstand -- i think lpreset is great  -- but i think it
would be much better to have this capability coming -- with support -- from hp.

> [snip]
>
> > [   ]   item# 15:  Enhance NEWACCT, etc.
> > item description:
> > This request is asking to introduce the concept of a default location for
> > an account.  The default, as envisioned, could be regarded as a
> > "suggestion" when creating new groups in an account - that is, it could be
> > easily overridden by a ";homevs=" and ";onvs=".  Note the request will not
>
> UDCVOL from Jazz in use and working well at almost a dozen machines I work
> with on a regular basis.

again -- the udc's from jazz are wonderful and i don't think you should run a
system without them (can i get my royalty, jeff? :-).  this enhancement won't
replace the udc's.  instead, this request is (in sysman's opinion) correcting
something that should have been addressed a l-o-n-g time ago.

if you have anymore questions, please let me know.

btw -- *do* vote (please :-) and *quickly*!  the original message didn't mention
that all votes need to be in by *this* thursday.  so, as always....vote early
but don't vote often :-)          - d

--
Donna Garverick     Sr. System Programmer