HP3000-L Archives

April 2000, Week 4

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 15:42:42 -0700
Glenn writes:
> As expected, today the US DoJ submitted a proposal to break
> Microsoft into two companies (Windows vs. applications, though
> I don't think it's that simple).

There's an old story (I'm sure Wirt will know all the details) about some
fishermen somewhere who were upset because of all the starfish what were
competing with them by eating up all the <mumble> that they made their
living catching.  So they dredged up all the starfish and killed them by
cutting each one in half.  They then threw the remains back into the sea,
thinking that was the end of the problem.

Of course what they didn't know is that if you cut a starfish in half, each
half grows back its missing parts, so in the end they found themselves with
twice as many hungry starfish as they started with.

G.