HP3000-L Archives

April 2000, Week 4

From:
Jeff Keepers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 10:08:06 -0500
Howdy all,

In an attempt to stay one step ahead of the user, I have been building data
entry validation routines.  These routines would take the user entered value and
verify that such a value exists in a specific database.  If the value does not
exist in the database, the user is notified and re-prompted.  So far this has
worked great but I have run into an obstacle.

The data element I need to validate against, contains more than the value I am
validating.  Instead of creating two elements to hold different types of data,
the creator built one element, concatenated the data and dumped all of it into
the one element.  My current solution of VEDBGETV doesn't allow for me to pull
the 3-6th character of a field.  Sort of re-structuring the database, does
anyone have any ideas how this can be done.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff Keepers
3M