HP3000-L Archives

April 2000, Week 4

From:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:21:40 -0400
Larry (who knows better than to ask me for an RTFM answer :-) ) asks

> Okay, where do I look (what manual) for the steps on setting up switched
> dtc's?  I have 8 of them and 2 e3000's.  I have to disconnect one
machine from
> the network when I recycle the dtc's.  I do this to make sure the
correct box
> has controll.

Well, the manual is Configuring Systems for Terminals, Printers, and Other
Serial Devices which can be found online at
 http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/doc3k/B3202290034.15956/1

In a nutshell, on the first screen in NMMGR (after opening the
configuration file), set up the "slave" system as a system the is running
HP Openview DTC Manager (I know, I know, you really aren't running
OVDTCMGR, but the system thinks you are.)  Next, go to the DTS
configuration and tell it how many ports you want to allow to come in via
the switched method (non-nailed terminal ports). Then, configure each DTC
with its NAME.DOMAIN.ORGANIZATION. You don't need to give it the MAC
address, it uses the N.D.O for communication.

On the "master" system, edit the terminal profiles. Look for the "Go to
Switch" function key. Set the Enable Switching to "Y" and the Automatic
Connection to "N".

The key to making this work is that the N.D.O must exactly match what you
have configured on the master system (DTC01.DOMAIN.ORG). It is best to use
the same DOMAIN.ORG for the DTCs that you have for your system.
PROD3000.DOMAIN.ORG,  TEST3000.DOMAIN.ORG,  DTC01.DOMAIN.ORG, etc.

If all goes well, when you press return on a terminal you will get a DTC>
prompt instead of a ":" prompt. The user can the  C PROD3000<return> or C
TEST3000<return> depending upon which machine they want.

There are a lot of options a subtle changes that can be made, and I know I
haven't covered half of it here (nailed devices, printers,  automatic
connections, etc) but this should get you started.

Doug.

Doug Werth                             Beechglen Development Inc.
[log in to unmask]                               Cincinnati, Ohio