HP3000-L Archives

April 2000, Week 4

From:
Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 08:56:08 -0400
Gary Sielaff wrote
>I am going to remove ldev 1, 13 and 14 (going of maint.) and replacing them
with a 9gig.  My >question..  When I do the restore the book says "to use
the NEWACCT;ONVS=, >ALTGROUP;HOMEVS=, and NEWGROUP;ONVS= (after having first
stored the files), then >restore the files.  This keeps all capabilities,
users, UDCs, and passwords intact."
>Why don't I just restore using "CREATE=CREATOR" ?

You must include the CREATE=CREATOR to insure that ALL files are restored!
Otherwise the restore will not restore files for which the creator has been
purged. <rant> This is a SERIOUS security BUG as CREATE=CREATOR  will
resurrect old users on the system without any PASSWORDS! </rant> This is why
most of you have a MGR and USER user in the SYS account!

Cordially,

Mike Hornsby
Co-founder/Chief Technical Officer
Beechglen Development Inc. (beechglen.com)
513-922-0509