HP3000-L Archives

April 2000, Week 2

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 12:14:17 -0400
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> Per a call to support call, had to increase session limit to allow processes
> using tcp/ip ports.
>
> ref call hp# A-423-3620 1996/08/20 13:09
>
> advised by HP that each tcp socket counts as a user, we did not reach our
> user limit,
> but could not start a tcp/ip process
>
> had following error
>  WARNING 14: IPCCONNECT failed
>  TRANSPORT HAS NOT BEEN INITIALIZED.  (SOCKERR 4)
>
> Is HP wrong? We were using 5.0 w/patch at the time.

The engineer was absolutely wrong if he/she said exactly what you report,
though what you describe isn't exactly the same thing.

Sessions connecting over the network count, but only if connecting as VT or
telnet connections. Connections to other TCP/IP ports do NOT count against
the HP user limit.

All TCP/IP connections share some common resources however, and the max tcp
connections is a major one. Many sites have that resource undersized, and
once they start running socket apps like web servers or email or ftp they
discover that this resource gets maxed out by these other processes and they
are unable to get as many sessions logged onto the system via the network.

I run 8-user boxes with hundreds of concurrent network accessors (web, email,
ftp, etc). I do have our max tcp connections maxed out (4096 I believe) as
well as some other tcp settings I don't recall off the top of my head.

   -Chris Bartram