HP3000-L Archives

April 2000, Week 2

From:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:27:21 -0500
Hello everyone,

Some of you may have seen a msg or two from me lately,
referring to an HP3k/979 with ONLY 256Mb of RAM. I've
gotten a lot of email from hardware vendors, and quotes
FAXed to me as well.

Third Party Memory is drastically less expensive than HP
memory, and everyone knows the old saying "You get what
you Pay For", but that's not always the case, is it? I mean
why buy the name brand prescription drug when the generic
is exactly the same thing. On the other hand, when it comes
to GM parts, I'll always pay extra for the authentic GM quality.
So it is, that some copies are exactly the same quality as
the original, and some copies just don't compare.

Which way is it when it comes to HP vs Third Party memory?

Does anyone on the list have any nightmare's, or bad
experiences with third party mem?

Having NO support from HP, is that a problem when the Mfg.
of the memory gives you a lifetime Warrantee?

Any pointers in this area will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Michael Anderson
Student Services Programmer/Analyst
Spring Independent School District, Houston, Texas, 77090
281.586.1105