HP3000-L Archives

April 2000, Week 2

From:
Peter Chong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Chong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 09:44:38 -0700
How about Manual master with 1 key and one numeric data
call Highest Order Number(?) for control

VB / ODBC32 reads the record then add + 1 to numeric field and
write back new order number.

I believe Lock and unlock by records will take care by ODBC server

May be next to order number in VB form make a combo box and in row source
on combo box display order number by descending order, so user click this can see largerest order number so far...

Peter Chong
Sr. ERP/MRP Analyst.
L3 Communications
714.956.9200 x 363
http://www.powerparagon.com

>>> Dave Knispel <[log in to unmask]> 04/12/00 01:38PM >>>
To the HP3000-L,

Here's what I'm trying to do from a web page using Visual Basic.  I'm currently doing this same type of process from Powerhouse in Quick screens on my HP3000.
  a.. Lock the control record
  b.. Get the control record (from an image DB) containing the last order number used
  c.. Add 1 to that number
  d.. Verify that it has not been used before (check three different databases)
  e.. Update the last order number entry
  f.. Unlock the control record
I know how to do this in Image/Cobol.  Powerhouse seems to be handling this process okay also.  The problem I'm having is with SQL or Minisoft's ODBC drivers.  How can I do the same type of process?  Has anyone out there done this type of function?  How do I lock around a transaction?  Is that what I need to do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David Knispel
Phone: 513-248-5029
Fax: 513-248-2672