HP3000-L Archives

April 2000, Week 1

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 13:11:40 -0400
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> every so often, when printing over the network, the
> receiving printer (yes, it's a laser!) will voluntarily(?)
> reprint the document several times.  i don't see why.  there
> was no printer jam and pjl_recovery is set to false.  the
> only thing that i see as notable is that the printing is
> occuring over the wan, so the subnets are changing.  any
> ideas other than it's one of those things?             - d

FWIW, I saw this behaviour long ago when I was first testing/debugging
network printing problems on some of our (then) new laserjet printers. I
found that on any of the units that had more than one paper try (like our
5si's) that when one of the trays became empty, the printer would return
a status message (a warning/notice) via SNMP to the MPE spooler indicating
that one of the trays was emtpy, and that it was feeding from the other
tray.

Whenever the spooler saw these messages, it gagged, printed out a message
on the console (*1) about an invalid SNMP/PJL sequence, and reprinted
whatever it was in the process of printing.

(*1; after some MPE spooler patches, we no longer got the message on the
    console about PJL, but the problem/symptoms remained.)

One item I've found very informative in working with these printers; get
Mark Bixby's SYSLOG port and install it on one of your 3000s. Then telnet
into those printers' jetdirect cards (or you can do it from the front panel)
and set the SNMP trap/syslog destination to your HP3000. You then get all
kinds of extra status messages from the printers which can be tremendously
useful when trying to figure out problems.

   -Chris Bartram