HP3000-L Archives

April 2000, Week 1

Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 21:30:01 -0400
Chris Goodey wrote:

> While any remarks I make on such general information is of course,
> only of general use, I will point out that to get 100% utilitization
> on 4 processors requires at LEAST 4 cpu bound processes.
>
> If you are running two heavy batch jobs, each could almost take up one
> full processor, and that would give you 50% utilization. In many cases,
> a single faster processor will do better than several slower ones even if
> they have more total cpu power.
>
> I have had to break up batch jobs into smaller pieces so that multiple cpu
> horsepower
> could be more effectively used. Sometimes this is just not possible, when
> one job
> is dependent on another running first. Other times reports can be overlapped

Sounds like you need Maestro. We have Maestro on *one* HP and it
schedules jobs on a hundred other HP3000s. You can make a schedule
dependent on another job or schedule, add the --onejob-- parm so it runs
alone, and so on and so forth. Really powerful. When a job in a schedule
aborts, the schedule enters the STUCK state until you fix the busted job
and restream it.