HP3000-L Archives

March 2000, Week 5

From:
Barry Lake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barry Lake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 15:26:14 -0800
At 4:50 PM -0600 3/31/00, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>Jeanne Pitts wrote in message ...
>>I drove through Arkansas on my way to California and it was one of the more
>>attractive places I passed through but... can't beat the California
>>sunshine.  And when I remember that Bill Clinton came from there... well
>>enough said.
>
>A gentleman by the name of Paul Klipsch is a much more respected resident
>of Hope, Arkansas than the notorious  "Commander in Chief" .

Other Arkansas notables:

Sam Walton, founder of WalMart, wealthiest man in the world until
  he died, at which point his fortune was split amongst 4 children.

<don't know his first name> Tyson, founder of Tyson's Chickens.

J.B. Hunt, founder of J.B. Hunt Trucking (I see those yellow trucks
   all over nowadays, even here in California).

Glen Campbell, singer, born in Tomato, Arkansas.

Gil Gerard, actor, played Buck Rogers on the TV series.

Orville Faubus, former governor, locked black kids out of Central High
   (my high school) in 1957, prompting President Ike to send in the troops.

Jo Lake, my mother, once had Sam Walton as a mixed doubles partner in a
   tennis tournament.

Barry Lake, braggart, once had Jo Lake as his mother.

;-}