HP3000-L Archives

March 2000, Week 5

From:
Winston Kriger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Winston Kriger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:50:40 -0600
Jeanne Pitts wrote in message ...
>I drove through Arkansas on my way to California and it was one of the more
>attractive places I passed through but... can't beat the California
>sunshine.  And when I remember that Bill Clinton came from there... well
>enough said.

A gentleman by the name of Paul Klipsch is a much more respected resident
of Hope, Arkansas than the notorious  "Commander in Chief" .

Paul designed, manufactured, marketed and sold High Fidelity Speaker Systems
that were and probabally still are the standard of comparison for the
industry.
These were Exponential Folded Horns ('Klipschorn')  that could faithfully
reproduce
a pipe-organ at realistic volumes with a relativly small tube amplifier (say
2 807s
in push-pull at 60 watts or so).   I have heard "modern" systems that are
said to be
"the best", but none come close to a 1950s full-sized Klipschorn.  Paul
purchased
an X/Y plotter from me while I was employed at Houston Instrument in the
'60s
(sorry HP!), and each speaker was shipped with a graph of the measured
frequency
response.  He would fly to Houston in his Cessna 310 about once a year
to get the plotter "tuned-up" and calibrated -- to be sure his customers got
accurate
graphs.  I was treated to a tour of the plant while passing through Hope
sometime
in the '60s, and I was given a "Stolen from Paul Klipsch" pocket protector
as
a momento.  I still wear it proudly to HI reunions and other similar affairs
where
fellow engineer/geeks might remember the significance of such a thing.

Now that the Clintons have moved to New York, maybe I'll plan a return visit
lovely Arkansas.  I won't plan a New York visit though--unless Bill and Hill
are evicted to Sing-Sing or perhaps Attica.

Winston K.