HP3000-L Archives

March 2000, Week 4

From:
Peter Chong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Chong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:29:43 -0800
Hi, Cole

When I use Fortran program in College, we learn the CYBER system
in early 70, 64 Bit hardwire machine and time sharing(TSO), other IBM 360
was batch machine and using ROS(ROM).

Few years later, HP3000 MPE II is fully intergrate queue slice 255
and using own terminal, what a quantum leap.

Few Years later, the UNIX use multi processing for cheap.

Few Years later, Novell upgrade DOS to multiuser

Few Years later, WINNT adapt VMS multiuser.

Now, WIN2000 use clustering and load balancing for few grand?

Just reinventing wheel with cheaper solution?

Cheers

Peter Chong
Sr. ERP/MRP Analyst.
L3 Communications
714.956.9200 x 363
http://www.powerparagon.com

>>> "COLE,GLENN (Non-HP-SantaClara,ex2)"              <[log in to unmask]> 03/22/00 03:57PM >>>
A "process analyst" was just hired at a client site.  Her background
appears primarily to be that of IBM mainframes.

She made a claim about HP 3000 users being happy because they
"own the whole machine," as opposed to IBM time-sharing users.

Can someone please summarize for me -- or just point me to a site
which explains -- what the deal is with IBM timesharing?

(I found some docs online about TSO -- ironically, at UT Knoxville --
but could not grasp the fundamental difference.)

Thank you!

--Glenn (mostly unhappy with her question, "Didn't the 3000
         go away in the mid-80's?")