HP3000-L Archives

March 2000, Week 4

From:
"Stigers, Greg [And]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stigers, Greg [And]
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 17:19:04 -0500
X-no-Archive:yes
One solutions, albeit one that is not well documented, is to use a netrc
file. A netrc file associates a host name with a user name and password by
containing the following:
machine OURHP3000 login FTPID.FTPACCT password SECRET1
machine OURMAINFRAME login ABC1234 password A9B8C7D6

On the 3000, this file either needs to be in the home group of the ftp
client user, or have a file equation of the form
NETRC.<homegroup>=FILE.GROUP.ACCOUNT. This can be kept in another account,
so long as there is an ACD for the ftp user, allowing Read and Lock, with
corresponding account and group permissions.

When you specify the host name to ftp, either on the command line or inside
a command file, the ftp client will attempt to find that host name in the
netrc file, and if found, will use that user name and password.

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com