HP3000-L Archives

March 2000, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 20:56:17 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

> The functions EXTIN' and INEXT' convert between Real and ASCII numbers.
>  There's an old "greenie" HP Note about using it for conversion. There's
>  even info on how to use it for conversion in RPG!. Note that the
>  trailing tic mark (single quote) is part of the function name (as in
>  CALL "EXTIN'").
>
>  Tony Summers wrote:
>  >
>  > Hello all.
>  >
>  > Can anybody enlighten me as to translate between VB's "Single" data type
> and
>  > numeric data types in Cobol.  (eg. PIC S9(n)v9(m) comp sync or comp-3
etc)
>  >
>  > I've managed to translate between VB's integer and long data types to
> plain old
>  > PIC s9(n) COMP SYNC by simply byte swapping on the HP (what my 3rd party
> vendor
>  > refers to as "little Endian").
>  >
>  > I would prefer to do the translation on the HP.

Only a small note of caution to Tom's message: Any old ("greenie") note
concerning a conversion function is very likely to convert to *HP* reals, not
the IEEE-formatted reals that VB uses. It doesn't mean that the functions Tom
mentions aren't of use, but you would have to add the second step of calling
HPFPCONVERT (see:

     http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/doc3k/B3265090821.13550/118 )

to complete your conversion before you began your byte-order swap.

Wirt Atmar