HP3000-L Archives

March 2000, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:36:01 EST
Allan,

> I am trying to connect to a remote HP3K on our WAN.  I
>  can get a Telnet connection to it but when entering
>  the IP # in Reflection, MS92 or QCterm, I freeze.  Can
>  anyone give me a few hints of what to look for?  This
>  is a new 979-100.

If all three terminal emulators are failing, the problem is probably at one
or the other of your network. Are you sure that you have you have telnet
running on your new 979? If you don't, you generally get back a "connection
refused" message (at least in QCTerm). However, that message comes back
almost immediately.

The more likely condition, from your description of "freezing", is that a
path can't be made between your PC and the remote HP3000. If that's true,
eventually your telnet attempt will timeout, although it takes quite a while
(several minutes) for that to happen. Are you behind a proxy server with your
PC and have you been granted telnet passthrough access? The same question
applies to the other end. Is your HP3000 behind a firewall and has telnet
access been granted? These are the two most likely conditions for promoting
timeouts under telnet. Quite often under these circumstances, everything else
has been granted passthrough priviledges, but telnet hasn't.

Wirt Atmar