HP3000-L Archives

March 2000, Week 4

From:
Matt Pereira <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Pereira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:31:58 -0800
Hi everyone:

I am relatively new to the HP3000 MPE/ix language, and to this listserv,
having lurked around for quite some time, but I have found the advice to be
extremely informative and quite helpful.  So I hope I'll be able to get some
good ideas on the following "novice" topic:

I have a "old" UDC that is set up to accept an address file submitted to us
by a local community college via a mag. tape, append the contents of that
file to our own address file on our HP3000, and then write the combined file
back out to a new mag. tape, which we submit to the state. Here's the "old"
UDC.

STRSADDRTAPE
OPTION LIST
COMMENT
COMMENT
COMMENT
PURGE STRSCOMB
FILE STRSCOMB;DISC=5000;REC=-102,1,F,ASCII;ACC=APPEND
FILE COLLTAPE;DEV=TAPE;REC=-102,1,F,ASCII;DEN=6250
FILE STRSTAPE;DEV=TAPE;REC=-102,1,F,ASCII;DEN=6250
PURGE FMPTSMAF,TEMP
RUN RTSMAF.PRNSCH.QSSPROD
FCOPY FROM =FMRTSMAF;TO=*STRSCOMB;NEW
FCOPY FROM=*COLLTAPE;TO=*STRSCOMB;EBCDICIN
FCOPY FROM=STRSCOMB;TO=*STRSTAPE;EBCDICOUT

However, we are no longer accepting mag. tapes.  As a result, I've set up
procedures for the college to directly submit their file to our HP3000 in
its own group and account.  Now, I have to modify the above UDC to look at
their address file in their GROUP.ACCOUNT, append it to our own address
file, and write back the appended file using the name STRSDISK into a
special group called HISTORY.

In my humble and amateurish attempts, I've come up with the following so
far...

STRSADDRDISK
OPTION LIST
COMMENT
COMMENT Produce STRS Address File on 3 1/2" diskette
COMMENT
PURGE STRSCOMB
FILE STRSCOMB;DISC=5000;REC=-102,1,F,ASCII;ACC=APPEND
FILE SMAF25;DISC=5000;REC=-102,1,F,ASCII;ACC=APPEND
FILE SMAFDISK;DISC=5000;REC=-102,1,F,ASCII;ACC=APPEND
PURGE FMPTSMAF,TEMP
RUN RTSMAF.PRNSCH.QSSPROD
COPY FMRTSMAF,STRSCOMB
COPY SMAF25.MCCDATA,STRSCOMB
COPY STRSCOMB,SMAFDISK.HISTORY

Here's what each file represents:
a)STRSCOMB = the final combined file consisting of our recs. appended with
the college's recs.
b)SMAF25 = the college's file that they FTP onto our system
c)SMAFDISK = the permanent file that is created by STRSCOMB, and get written
to our HISTORY group. I can then download it using Reflections to a floppy
disk.

Here's my questions:

1) How can I get the COPY command in the 2nd to the last line to APPEND the
contents of SMAF25 to STRSCOMB, without overwriting it?  Could I say
something like ;ACC=APPEND at the end of the 2nd to the last line?  Should I
consider using the FCOPY command instead as in the old UDC?

2) I'm not sure if the REC= parameters in my file equations are absolutely
necessary. On the other hand, will it hurt to leave them in?

I hope I've provided enough detail.  If not, please let me know. Any and all
suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you.

-Matt Pereira