HP3000-L Archives

March 2000, Week 4

From:
Mike Yawn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Yawn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 00:04:06 GMT
Carl,

Check the setting of your PATH variable (echo $PATH).  I suspect
that your current working directory (.) is not part of the search
path.  The POSIX shell will only search the directories listed
in your PATH for executable programs.   If the directory
containing the program isn't on your PATH, then you must
specify it explicitly as part of the script name, in either
absolute (/SYS/CARL/foo) or relative (./foo) format.

There is supposed to be some security issue related to having
the current directory part of the PATH, and I can't offhand
recall what the nature of the problem is.  I find the
inconvenience of having to always specify the path far
outweighs whatever the bad thing is with . in the path.

Mike

Carl McNamee ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Pardon me, my posix ignorance it showing!

: I am curious about something that I have been running into in the posix
: shell.  Why do I have to qualify the name of a script to be run with "./"?
: If I have the script "test" in the directory "/SYS/CARL/" and I am in the
: CARL directory I have to run the test script by typing "./test".  Why can't
: I just type "test" and have it run?

: Carl McNamee
: Systems Administrator
: Billing Concepts

Mike Yawn
Hewlett-Packard                      email       [log in to unmask]
Commercial Systems Division          Voice         (408) 447-4367
19447 Pruneridge Ave M/S 47UA        Fax           (408) 447-4441
Cupertino, CA  95014