HP3000-L Archives

March 2000, Week 3

From:
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 14:51:46 +0200
Wirt wrote

>Sitting here at my desk, I just found out that this week's Sunday Night
Movie
>on NBC is "The Ghost and the Darkness". Although I've never seen the movie,
>know the story well. It takes place just about 100 years ago in the Tsavo
>region of Kenya during a time when the British were building a railroad
>through East Africa. Incredibly, two male lions killed and ate 137 (or
more)
>railroad workers.

I'll bet that many more hundreds of labourers were lost to Africa's biggest
killer of all - mosquitoes.

And we hear that the most fearful large mammal in all Africa, accounting for
more deaths amongst humans than any other beast, is the vegetarian (but
extremely bad-tempered) hippopotamus.

Neil